DIY easy Italian body scrubs and face masks
Long before face sheet masks or expensive luxurious spas, women treated their bodies to what was available. Fortunately for us, we can still do this today. Try out these easy DIY body scrubs and face masks for different skin types, made from ingredients you’ll easily find in your kitchen – and notice the difference in your skin!
Coffee, olive oil and brown sugar scrub
The coffee grains and brown sugar in this fantastic scrub will gently exfoliate your skin while the olive oil keeps it moisturised. With these properties, it’s an amazing option for all skin types as it exfoliates dry skin and helps to rejuvenate and boost circulation.
1. Combine ½ cup of coffee grounds, ¼ cup of brown sugar and ¼ cup of olive oil and mix well. Store in an airtight container and use within 2 weeks.
2. When using the scrub, take about a tablespoon at a time in your palms and rub the scrub in a circular motion onto your dampened skin in the shower. Rinse off with a small amount of your favourite N.A.E. shower gel.
Peach and brown sugar scrub
Perfect for summer, this peachy scrub will leave your skin feeling soft and deliciously scented.
1. Pit one ripe peach and puree the flesh in a food processor. You can peel it or leave the skin on.
2. Mix your pureed peach with ½ cup of brown sugar and ¼ cup of olive oil. Store in an airtight container in the fridge and use within a week.
3. Rinse your skin. Take about a tablespoon of the scrub at a time and rub in a circular motion onto your skin in the shower. Rinse off with a small amount of your favourite N.A.E. shower gel.
Rose and lavender scrub
This is perhaps the most time-consuming DIY scrub from our selection, but it’s still incredibly easy to make once you have all the gorgeously scented ingredients.
1. Mix 1 ½ cups of brown sugar with ½ cup of olive oil in a large mixing bowl and add 10 drops of lavender essential oil and 2 tablespoons of dried lavender flower buds into the mixture.
2. Once the mixture is combined, add rose petals from 2 small-medium roses by tearing them up with your fingers. Mix well. Store in an airtight container or jar and use within 2 weeks.
3. Apply about 3 tablespoons of the scrub onto your dampened skin and rub in a circular motion. Rinse off with a small amount of your favourite N.A.E. shower gel.
Orange peel scrub
As this scrub uses much less olive oil than our other methods, the scrub is coarser and will exfoliate your skin effectively. It’s also a fantastic scrub to use on your feet to remove dry skin.
1. Combine ½ cup of cane sugar and 1 tablespoon of very finely chopped or processed dried orange peels in a bowl.
2. In a separate small bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 5 drops of orange essential oil until well combined. Pour the oils into the sugar and orange-peel mixture and stir until there are no lumps. Store in an airtight container or jar.
3. In the shower, rinse your skin. Take about a tablespoon of the scrub at a time and rub in a circular motion onto your skin. Rinse off with a small amount of your favourite N.A.E. shower gel.
Gentle oat mask
This face mask may seem too easy to be true but try it out once or twice a week to unclog pores and refresh skin. This mask is especially good for people with sensitive skin.
1. In a food processor, pulse ½ cup of plain oats until they’re finely ground and store in an airtight container.
2. Take a large pinch of your ground oats and place in a small bowl (the size of an egg), add a bit of warm water and mix until it forms a paste. Gently massage the paste onto your face and neck and leave for 10 minutes. Rinse with warm water and notice how much softer your skin will feel.
This is a fantastic face mask to hydrate skin and especially to treat sunburn in warm summer months.
1. In a food processor, puree an unpeeled medium-sized organic cucumber and ¼ of a cup of washed mint leaves.
2. Pour into a small bowl and use a clean cosmetic brush to apply the mixture to your face and neck. Leave for up to 30 minutes and rinse with cool water.
Be sure to rinse off your scrubs with your favorite N.A.E. shower gel!