Sustainable skin care
Skin care with a conscience
You really can have it all, as every bella Italiana proves. You can nurture and nourish your skin and be kind to our natural environment with the choices you make.
1. choose sustainable, botanical sources
2. purchase planet-friendly products
3. go plastic-free
4. share and save space
5. spread the word over networks
Bellissimo with botanicals
There is no end to the power of the plant world – from vegetables to herbs, nuts, seeds and fruits. Plants are nourishing, providing the complex variety of nutrients to sustain our bodies, can be weaved into natural textiles, like pineapple leather – and can supply a wealth of beauty benefits, too. Botanicals which thrive in Italy – citrus fruits, olives, fresh herbs, plus eye-catching flora – offer a bellezza bounty that’s worth harnessing!
For instance, around 20 kilograms of olives produce a litre of olive oil and this golden fluid can be applied for multiple beauty purposes or blended in an effective skin and hair treatment, like N.A.E. Universal Cream.
The juice of lemons offers astringent properties for skin and extra shine to hair, as well as their reviving fragrance.
Pick planet-friendly products
Products which have been formulated to contain extracts from the plant world, equally, are effective, work in harmony with your skin, smell amazing and are kind to the planet.
Look for transparent labelling to make sure products contain high percentages (95% +) of natural ingredients or are certified as organic.
For instance, in skin care products by N.A.E., olive oil, aloe vera, orange blossom and mallow flower are all naturally soothing ingredients. Organic lemon and rosa damescena not only emit wonderful fragrances but also offer gentle toning and astringent properties. Italian herbs rosemary and thyme purify skin but have naturally uplifting scents, perfect for personal care.
Ditch plastic pollution
· Check out nearby markets for loose fresh produce and take cloth bags along to transport items. Avoid buying foods unnecessarily packaged in cellophane.
· Natural clothing materials, like linen and cotton, are better choices than synthetic textiles like polyester. The latter produce plastic fibre residues when washed – polluting water resources.
· Similarly, pick beauty and personal care products without microplastics – tiny spheres of synthetic material which are harmful to ocean life – choose natural alternatives, such as scrubs containing finely crushed seeds.
· Purchase cosmetics packaged in sustainable materials. For example, bottles made entirely out of recycled PET which are also recyclable or tubes manufactured out of plant-based materials. Cardboard packaging should be FSC-certified. Look for transparent labelling that shows what packaging is made of and recycle it. A large majority of N.A.E. product packaging, for instance, is already planet-friendly.
Share and care
If you’re travelling with others, you can save luggage weight and reduce your carbon footprint by combining beauty supplies for your trip, such as sharing one day cream between you. Solid bars are perfect travel-friendly solutions for cleansing skin and hair as they take up less space, so pack a shampoo bar, body bar and gentle face bar in plastic-free packaging.
If you share a household with relatives, your partner or housemates, agree to share and swap beauty items where appropriate. For example, one tub of body balm on the shelf instead of multiple items. This will save space and help everyone keep track of your beauty stock, so nothing can go off or is thrown out unnecessarily – thus reducing waste.
Embrace and disseminate
Spread the positive message of a shift to conscious, sustainable habits and the benefits to you, your family and the precious planet. You can pass on tips on how to spot skin care items which are vegan, organic and contain natural ingredients by recognising their certification logos, plus symbols indicating ecologically friendly packaging. Log on to your social media networks to share recipes for DIY botanical face masks and your favourite N.A.E. products. We can all demonstrate how we can embrace nature and feel bellissimo – starting with you, bella!